Thursday, 4 May 2017

Sneaky ways to read more

More isn’t exactly quantifiable. That’s because it’s subjective. Especially for those of you studying arts, political science, social science and all dem degrees that REQUIRES you to read a s*** ton; reading can be pretty nauseating after a while. But then... how could you satisfy your need for good fiction, poetry, self-help literatures and materials other than the academics?! Trust me, it is super hard. I only managed to read a few books last year. Coming from a person who used to do one or two every week; it’s pretty disappointing. 

But I’ve come to terms with the fact that I won’t be able to read as much. The goal is to just be able to squeeze in as much reading as I can afford. To be honest, I can’t afford much right now, a little will do and you know what, that is alright. Don’t push yourself too hard darlin ;)

awww look my sister made this for me years ago!

1. Bring your book everywhere (i do mean everywhere)
I used to be that girl who has a book in her hand all the time. A habit instilled by my parents and growing up inspired by my bibliophile brother. This worked for awhile when I was younger, but now I read thick books (like the whole volume of lord of the rings God help me) and it becomes harder for me to carry it around. I wanna be practical right. So there’s two solutions for this: 1) buy e-book version and load it into my Kindle, and if you don’t have a Kindle or any e-reader of any sort 2) choose a thin book that’s specifically for going out. Save the thick book for reading at home. Either way you choose to work this out, just carry some reading materials around. Sometimes I carry academic journal articles around lol. 

2. Read before bed
This one works for me. Be it 15, 30 or 60 minutes, I try to read before bed. I’ll sleep with the book beside me and when I wake up in the morning it’s on the floor because yes I push everything off my bed in my sleep. Sometimes, I just take a book to bed out of habit and don’t even read it. What even anisnad. But just make it a habit, you’ll find yourself reading one day.

3. Read while you eat
I’m a multitasker and my brain doesn’t usually stop running around. I have to be occupied while I eat because I can’t stand the boredom of eating. I love eating don’t get me wrong, but I need an activity to complement eating. I usually watch Netflix, but before this I used to read too. But in my culture, we eat with our right hand, bare. So… holding a book is definitely tricky. Again, an e-reader would be practical in this situation. However, if you’re okay with breaking the book's spine then you can just push the book down open with one hand. I’m a spine breaker (just with my own books), soz guys. 

4. Download audio books.
Audible is my ultimate go to marketplace to buy audible. A lot of people have told me that I’m wasting my money buying ebooks and audio books. Mmmm, well that’s not how I see it so out the window you go. But yeah audio books are super convenient, I listen to em while running, eating, relaxing, walking, commuting. It’s just sooo handy. Give it a go! Here in Australia you can subscribe for around $15, I think, and you get 1 credit every month (that’s one book). I used to be subscribed for more than a year but then I couldn’t afford it anymore; but I still buy audiobooks from audible. I swear this isn’t sponsored I just love audible.

5. School breaks!
Summer and Winter breaks are bae. Once they start, I begin crunching in books after books after books and more books. Moreeeeeeee. Because once the semester starts you know it’s almost impossible to go through two books a week like you used to. So use school breaks to devour as many books as possible.

Thanks for reading. Later gators :) 
xoxo
Anisnad

2 comments:

  1. I love your style of writing since 2010. Keep writing and growing, Anisssss. Love you <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you for being with me since day 1

      Delete

Interaction from you guys makes me happy :)